Helmholtz Zentrum München Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible to apply for the EpiCrossBorders program?

Please visit the Eligibility section for a description of the entry requirements for the EpiCrossBorders: International Helmholtz-Edinburgh Research School for Epigenetics. To be eligible for the programme, you also need to provide all required documentation.

Can I apply if I have not finished my master's studies?

Applicants still studying for their Master's degree can apply to the EpiCrossBorders Research School providing they will complete their Masters degree before the start of their PhD work.  These applicants must provide a provisional certificate or bona fide statement from the University stating the marks already obtained and estimated graduation date with their application.

When should I apply for the International Helmholtz-Edinburgh Research School for Epigenetics?

There is one call for applications each year. Please check the webpage for information on the next call.

Do I have to register with a University?

Yes, the PhD degree will be awarded by the Ludwig Maximilians Universität (LMU) or Technische Universität München (TUM) in Munich.  You will have to register with one of these universities within the first three months of your PhD studies. The decision of where to register depends on your supervisor, your specific project, and your background.

You can find the registration requirements for TUM here, LMU Faculty of Biology here, LMU Faculty for Chemisty and Pharmacy here, and LMU Faculty of Medicine here.

Do I have to pay tuition fees?

Helmholtz Zentrum München does not charge any tuition fees. The Universities (LMU and TUM), however, charge a small fee per semester. For the winter semester 2023/2024 this amounted to approximately 144,40 Euros. Upon payment of this fee, you will receive a student ID card and be eligible for student discounts with a discount for public transportation.

What is the language of the International Helmholtz-Edinburgh Research School for Epigenetics?

The language of the Epigenetics Research School is English.

I am not a native English speaker. Do I need to provide proof of my English language skills?

We highly recommend providing a document with proof of your English proficiency.  You can do this by providing a statement from your most recent university or supervisor, stating that a significant part of your university education was conducted in English.  Alternatively, you may provide an English language test certificate such as TOEFL, IELTS, or CAE.  This article shares some helpful tips on finding the right test for you, and options that may be available in your area.

Do I need to take a Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)?

A GRE or GATE is not required for application to the Epigenetics Research School, but may be advantagous.

Do I have to contact group leaders before sending my application?

You do not need to contact group leaders before applying for a project through the Helmholtz International Epigenetics Research School.  All applications must be made via the Research School online application system.

However, not all group leaders recruit in every call.  If you are interested in working with a group leader who is not recruiting in the current call, please contact the Epigenetics Research School Office.

What do I do if I cannot upload my documents to the online system?

Please verify that the file size does not exceed 10 MB, and make sure your browser is fully updated. If this does not solve the issue please contact the Research School Office.

My referees have not received the E-mail asking them to submit a letter of recommendation. What should I do?

Please verify that the correct email address was entered into the online application system.  If the address was correct please ask your referees to verify their spam box.

If the email is still not received, please contact the Research School Office.  Please do this before the application deadline: Only complete applications (including reference letters) received by the deadline will be considered.

Please do not send the reference letters to the Research School office yourself. We can only accept reference letters submitted directly by your referees.

Do I have to wait for my referees to submit their letters of recommendation before submitting my application?

No, you can submit the application as soon as you have completed it.  The reference letters are sent through a different form by your referees.  Please be aware that we need to recieve the reference letters before the deadline.  Only complete applications received by the deadline will be considered for selection.

Please note: after submission you can log into the application system and check the status of your reference letters.

What if I made a mistake on my online application?

If you have not yet submitted your application, you should be able to correct the mistake using the "edit" function.

In case you have made a mistake in the referee information or if you already submitted your application and it is before the application deadline, please send us an e-mail with the following information:

  • First name
  • Last name
  • Login e-mail address
  • Detailed description of your problem

After the application deadline, modifications to your application are no longer possible.

How will my application be evaluated?

Your application will be evaluated based on scientific excellence, motivation, and presentation. The timeline of the application process can be found here.